DFDL Cambodia Discusses Fintech Investments
On 19 July 2019, DFDL Cambodia organized a special morning seminar on developments in the Cambodian financial technology (“Fintech”) industry in Phnom Penh at the Rosewood Hotel.
The “Considerations for Fintech investments in Cambodia” event was geared at shedding some light on the current sector and its growth potential throughout the ASEAN region.
Vinay Ahuja, DFDL Partner and Head of Regional Banking & Finance Practice, gave a presentation on electric money (e.g. mobile phone app cashless payment transfer systems), virtual cash, and digital assets, with a particular focus on the Thai market.
Martina Brezinova, Kinstellar Counsel, explained how the Fintech industry is set up in the Czech Republic and wider European market touching on subjects such as E-money, crowd funding and its impact on investments, lending and rewards schemes and the blockchain.
Nearirath Sreng, DFDL Senior Consultant, Banking and Finance Practice Group, discussed the current fintech outlook from a local perspective: highlighting the rapid adoption of Fintech in Cambodia, the legal framework currently undergirding it to date, and how this sector is likely to evolve in the forthcoming years.
Moderated by DFDL Senior Consultant Kooithong Lai, he also summarized the discussion and gave an overview on the sections of the Cambodian economy that need to be ready for Fintech investment.
The session was well received by the over 50 participants in attendance, all of whom gained valuable and practical insights on the latest developments occurring across the Fintech investment landscape throughout ASEAN and Europe.
On 19 July 2019, DFDL is organizing a special morning seminar on developments in the Cambodian financial technology (“Fintech”) industry in Phnom Penh at the Rosewood Hotel.
Fintech is a sector with huge growth potential in a country where access to advanced telecommunications and the internet is rapidly increasing. Across many rural areas in Cambodia, a large proportion of the inhabitants remain ‘unbanked’ yet still have smartphones and internet access.
The opportunities to extend Fintech services throughout the country, create new markets, and make the lives of such people better are therefore enormous.
Moderated by DFDL Senior Consultant Kooithong Lai, our expert speakers Nearirath Sreng, DFDL Senior Consultant, Martina Brezinova, Kinstellar Counsel and Vinay Ahuja, DFDL Partner and Head of Regional Banking & Finance Practice will provide an overview of Fintech in Cambodia and the lucrative prospects this sector holds.
The Fintech experience of nearby jurisdictions will be discussed along with the lessons they offer for Cambodia as this area continues to grow.
Please reserve your place for this event not to be missed. Buffet Breakfast will be served throughout the event.
- 7:45 – 8:25 am: Registration & Networking
- 8:25 – 8:30 am: Opening Introductory Speech by MC Kooithong Lai, DFDL Senior Consultant
- 8:30 – 8:50 am: Fintech in Cambodia – Current Outlook from a Legal Perspective with Key Studies by Nearirath Sreng, DFDL Senior Consultant
- The revolution of Fintech in Cambodia;
- Understand the legal framework governing Fintech to date; and
- How this progresses as a whole.
- 8:50 – 9:10 am: Czech Republic Perspective on Fintech and Europe by Martina Brezinova, Kinstellar Counsel
- Crowdfunding & impact on investments, lending and rewards schemes; and
- Blockchain: banking implications.
- 9:10 – 9:30 am: Lessons from Thailand on Fintech by Vinay Ahuja, DFDL Partner and Regional Head of Banking & Finance Practice Group
- 9:30 – 10:30 am: Panel Discussion & Q&A
- 10:30 – 10:40 am: In summary, are we investment ready? What are the resources we need for us to be investment ready for Fintech? by Kooithong Lai
Date: Friday 19 July 2019
Venue: Rosewood Phnom Penh
Time: 7:30 am – 11:00 am
USD 25 DFDL Clients
USD 30 Others