Notification No. 3001 issued on the 26th of February 2016 extends, again, the new deadline for enterprises or companies to complete their tax registration renewal update with the General Department of Taxation which is now 1 May 2016.
Notification No. 3001 issued on the 26th of February 2016 extends, again, the new deadline for enterprises or companies to complete their tax registration renewal update with the General Department of Taxation which is now 31 May 2016.
You may recall that Notification No. 9737, issued on the 20th of November 2015, had extended the deadline from 15 November 2015 to 31 December 2015 to allow taxpayers in Cambodia to complete the tax registration renewal obligations that came into effect in October 2014 under Prakas No.1139.
To briefly recap; Prakas No.1139, introduced a revamped tax registration process whereby all existing and new taxpayers that were required to register under the real and estimated regime of taxation in Cambodia had to comply. Along with requiring physical attendance at the GDT, as per above, the new process required applicants to provide supporting documentation in original form and pay a prescribed fee. Under the new process the taxpayer received a tax identification card.
In the event that a taxpayer does not complete the requirements of the tax registration renewal process (in particular the photograph and fingerprint requirement) by 31 May 2016, the GDT may take one or more of the following actions:
- Revoke the VAT certificate that had been already issued to an existing registered taxpayer (VAT certificate issued prior to 1 November 2014 under the old registration process) that has failed to fully comply with the tax registration renewal process;
- Disallow the ability of the defaulting taxpayer to claim VAT input credit or VAT refund;
- Request co-operation from the General Department of Customs and Excise of Cambodia in order to terminate/cancel the import-export operation of the defaulting taxpayer;
- Request for cooperation from the Council for the Development of Cambodia to not accept any request from the defaulting taxpayer to be able to import raw materials, machinery and material-equipment under a Master List, and
- Other measures in accordance with the applicable laws.
Taxpayers may enquire about the progress of their tax registration renewal via the [list of] names, contact numbers, and emails attached herewith – please click here.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require assistance with the tax registration renewal process or have any concerns on the above matters.
*The information is provided for information purposes only, and is not intended to constitute legal advice. Legal advice should be obtained from qualified legal counsel for all specific situations.