Corporate and M&A
Our Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions team has an in-depth understanding of the region’s closely regulated sectors, notably financial services, technology, telecoms, industrial manufacturing, education, renewable energy, consumer and retail. We are not only legal advisors to our clients – but also strategic business partners. We find solutions and help clients assess risks by utilizing our extensive experience in emerging markets M&A.
Drawing upon the knowledge of practice and industry legal and tax advisers, we provide comprehensive transactional support, from target identification and the formulation of a M&A strategy to advice on due diligence, regulatory, deal structures and closing of transactions. With an award-winning integrated tax practice, we are also renowned for our ability to devise creative multi-jurisdictional structures to optimize tax benefits.
We represent a diverse range of clients on domestic and cross-border transactions, including global and regional private equity funds, international financial institutions, development finance institutions, banks, venture capital funds, small and large corporations, family offices, government owned entities and high net-worth individuals in some of their most complex transactions.
Through our ‘Connector Unit’, we also assist clients with deal origination by introducing domestic clients to offshore investors and funds, which has proven critical during periods in which the ability to travel has been constrained.
DFDL’s Regional M&A team has been consistently ranked by leading directories such as Chambers and Legal 500 across our jurisdictions.
Sought after by clients for M&A, joint venture and foreign investment matters. Advises on local and regional transactions in such sectors as technology, energy, transportation and retail. Also handles investment funds and securities matters, and works closely with clients from Japan and China in particular. Its corporate offering is supplemented by strong tax and regulatory expertise. Often works in tandem with other DFDL regional offices on cross-border deals. – Chambers Asia
How we can help:
- Asset and business transfers;
- Capital markets;
- Corporate governance;
- Cross-border acquisitions;
- Distressed and opportunistic M&A;
- Joint ventures;
- Management buy outs;
- Mergers; and
- Private equity.
- Altimeter Growth Corp, as local counsel on Cambodia based matters in relation to its USD 40 billion merger with Grab Holdings, Southeast Asia’s leading “super app”.
- Softbank, on Thailand and Vietnam based matters in relation to its USD 1.5 billion investment into Grab, a multinational ride-hailing company based in Singapore.
- KB Kookmin Bank on its USD 603 million acquisition of a 70% stake in PRASAC, Cambodia’s largest deposit-taking micro-finance institution.
- AHF Products on its USD 500 million merger transaction between AHF Products (Delaware) and Paceline Equity Partners.
- Thaibev on its USD 750 million acquisition of 75% stake of two Myanmar spirits distillers.
- Telenor in its 100% sale of mobile network business to M1 Group from Lebanon (which later rebranded the business as ATOM in June 2022) and sale of its majority stake in Myanmar mobile money company Digital Money Myanmar (Wave Money) to YOMA MFS Holdings.
- Actis GP LLP (Global Fund), in the acquisition and refinancing of a 220 MW combined cycle gas turbine project valued at approximately USD 300 million.
- Domino’s Pizza Enterprises on its USD 214 million acquisition of the existing Domino’s Pizza businesses in Cambodia, Malaysia, and Singapore – the biggest acquisition in the company’s history.
- Triodos Investment Management, a globally recognised leader in impact investing, in relation to an offer from North Haven Thai Private Equity, a buyout fund managed by Morgan Stanley Private Equity Asia and Bangkok Bank, to acquire Triodos’ 6.25 percent shareholding in Acleda Bank as a block trade using the negotiated trading method which marks the largest trade in the history of the Cambodian Stock Exchange.
- Corporate and M&A ThailandHighly Recommended
- Corporate and M&A VietnamHighly Recommended
2023 chambers and partners asia pacific
- Corporate/M&A VietnamBand 2
- Corporate & Finance BangladeshBand 3
- Corporate/M&A ThailandBand 4
2023 iflr 1000
- Financial and Corporate CambodiaTier 1
- Financial and Corporate Lao PDRTier 1
- Financial and Corporate MyanmarTier 1
- Capital Markets: Debt/M&ATier 3
- Capital Markets: Debt/M&ATier 3
2023 legal 500 asia pacific
- Corporate and M&A MyanmarTier 1
- Corporate and M&A VietnamTier 2
- Corporate And M&A BangladeshTier 3
- Corporate and M&A ThailandTier 4