When: 22 March 2017
DFDL was the proud sponsor of the Singapore Business Federation’s (“SBF”) seminar on “Helping SMEs Succeed in Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam: Top Tax and Labour Concerns”.
Over 70 participants attended from private Singaporean companies most of which currently have or are planning to enter into operations in the three countries. The seminar addressed the common tax and labor issues that arise when investing and executing deals in the three jurisdictions. SMEs will directly benefit from DFDL’s experience and insights in doing business in these markets.
Maly Courtaigne, Managing Director (Singapore), moderated the session on tax alongside tax experts Jonathan Blaine, Tax Director (Thailand) and Bernard Cobarrubias, Regional Tax Director (Singapore). The employment panel consisted of experts Danyel Thomson, Senior Adviser and Head of Regional Employment (Myanmar) and Kraisorn Rueangkul, Partner (Thailand). Maly Courtaigne led discussions on the common labor concerns in working and hiring individuals in the three countries.
Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam remain top of mind as foreign business destinations. But despite the acceleration in the globalization over the past decades, companies have found that unexpected policies, distinct differences, and even cultural differences stand as major obstacles to successfully navigating the Myanmar, Vietnamese, and Thai business, tax and labor landscape.
Success in these markets often hinges on the investor’s understanding of the similarities and peculiarities of the business and tax policies in these emerging markets. Our discussion will allow participants to understand the issues that arise when investing and executing deals in the three jurisdictions. SMEs will benefit from DFDL’s experience and insights in doing business in these jurisdictions, with particular focus on tax and labor issues.
- DFDL will highlight major tax issues including tax pitfalls and challenges from tax authorities; tax policies in mergers and acquisitions, tax incentives, tax reform trends, among other frequently encountered issues. Not merely a lecture on tax law and regulations, the presentations will try to answer real-life questions such as concerns that a buyer has to watch out for when acquiring a business; common tax issues during tax audits; obtaining positive results in tax rulings; easing the cross-border flow of funds;
- DFDL will walk through the common labour concerns in working and hiring individuals in the three countries. They will present case studies on acquisitions and transfer of employees; options and associated risks of treatment of contractors and employees; requirements of labor contracts; termination of employment; among others;
- Listen to testimonials from actual companies that have ventured into respective countries.
- Maly Courtaigne, Managing Director, Singapore
- Bernard Cobarrubias, Regional Tax Director, Singapore
- Danyel Thomson, Head of Employment Practice Group; Myanmar
- Kraisorn Rueangkul, Partner, Thailand
- Jonathan Blaine, Tax Director, Thailand
Who should Participate
Companies who are serious on establishing their business in Myanmar, Thailand or Vietnam.
Date: Wednesday, 22 March 2017
Time: 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Venue: Seminar Room 2 & 3, SBF Centre, 160 Robinson Road, #06-01, Singapore 068914
- Complimentary for Members of Singapore Business Federation
- $53.50 (GST incl.) for Non-members
- For details on how to attend this event, contact Ms. Loi Min Qian (firstname.lastname@example.org)